Savory Mango Empanadas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pimento stuffed green olives, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 large mangos (about 2 pounds), peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 packages store bought pie dough, such as Pillsbury Ready Roll® pie crust
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
For the Mango Chimichurri
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 large mango, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper
For the Mango Empanadas: Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
In a large non-stick skillet heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and cook for about 6 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add tomato paste, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and canned tomatoes, simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened.
Transfer beef mixture to large bowl. Gently mix in olives, cheese and diced mango.
Unwrap and unroll each piece of pie dough, divide each into 4 sections. Place approximately ¼ cup filling on bottom third of each piece. Fold dough over filling and crimp edges closed using fingers or fork.
Whisk egg and 1 tablespoon water in small bowl, brush egg wash over top of each empanada. Pierce top of empanadas with fork to allow steam to escape.
Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature with mango chimichurri.
For the Mango Chimichurri: Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.