How to Choose a Mango
Bring sunshine to your shopping list!
How to choose a mango
Finding your main squeeze is easy when you know what to look for—and feel for. Our handy guide makes it easy. Let’s go mango shopping!
- When you choose a mango, don't focus on color. It is not the best indicator of ripeness. Mango varieties come in a multitude of colors, shapes, and sizes. Get to know the different varieties you may come across when shopping.
- Squeeze the mango gently. A ripe mango will give slightly. A medium-ripe mango will be somewhat firm, and an unripe mango will be very firm to the touch. Do you know that mangos can be enjoyed at all levels of ripeness? Mango flavor ranges from sour-tart for unripe mangos, to naturally sweet for ripe mangos.
- Use your experience with produce such as peaches and avocados to help you easily choose a mango, since they also become softer as they ripen.
- Ripe mangos will sometimes have a fruity aroma at their stems. When considering how to choose a fresh mango, this is one of the most enjoyable ways!
- The red color that appears on some varieties is not a way to easily choose a mango, as it isn’t an indicator of ripeness. Always judge by feel.
Once you know how to choose a fresh mango, you can find the perfect fruit to take home with you and share with your family—or keep all to yourself!
Don’t let your inexperience with how to choose a fresh mango keep you from appreciating this incredible fruit. With a little practice, you’ll be an expert and then can teach others how to choose a mango!