Green Mango and Grilled Beef Salad
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water, hot
- 1/2 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed, tender inner parts only, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top loin steak
- 2 green (firm ripe) mangos, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup Asian basil leaves, torn into thirds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted, roasted peanuts, crushed
To make the dressing: Completely dissolve sugar in water; stir in fish sauce, lime juice and sriracha.
To prepare the beef: Combine oil, lemongrass, fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar; stir until sugar dissolves. Add beef and coat thoroughly with marinade. Marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes. Grill beef over medium-hot heat until desired doneness is achieved; allow to rest before slicing, against the grain, into thin strips.
To assemble and serve: Transfer grilled meat to a large bowl. Add mango, red onion and dressing; toss gently. Add cilantro and basil; toss gently again before plating. Garnish with peanuts.
Source: Chef Ben Randolph, The Broadway Hotel, Columbia, MO