Cajun Spice Mix
Mango, Pineapple, Avocado Salsa
- Make the Marinade: Mix together all of the Spice Rub ingredients in a medium bowl. Remove 2 teaspoons Spice Rub to a shallow dish or large freezer bag (whatever you are going to marinate salmon in). Whisk in remaining Marinade ingredients. Add salmon and turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. You will use remaining spices later in the Rub.
- Prepare the Mango, Pineapple Avocado Salsa: Meanwhile, chop and add all of the Salsa ingredients EXCEPT AVOCADO to a large bowl. Toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Chop and add avocado just before serving so it doesn’t brown.
- Create the Spice Rub: After 30-60 minutes (no more), remove fish from marinade and pat dry. Rub remaining Spice Rub evenly all over fish. The easiest way to do this is dip each fillet in the spice rub, front and back.
- To cook: In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat (medium if your stove runs hot). Once hot, add fillets, turn heat down to medium and cook approximately 4 minutes, until crispy and blackened. Flip salmon over and add butter. Cook an additional 3-6 minutes to your liking (will depend on thickness). Check salmon after 2 minutes to ensure it isn't cooking too quickly - if it is, then turn down the heat.
- To serve: Remove salmon from skillet to individual plates and drizzle with pan juices. Serve with Mango, Pineapple Avocado Salsa.
Recipe submitted by Jen Sattley, Carlsbad Cravings