Grilled Mahi Mahi Sandwich with Mango Slaw
MAHI MAHI SANDWICH
- 3 pounds Mahi Mahi, 4-ounce skinless portions, thawed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 1/2 teaspoon portions ground cinnamon and chile, to taste
- 12 2-ounce portions Mango Slaw with Cashews and Mint, recipe follows
- 12 4-ounce whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1-1/2 limes, wedge cut in 8 pieces
- 48 fresh carrot sticks, 3/8 x 4-inch
MANGO SLAW WITH CASHEWS AND MINT:
- 7-2/3 ounces fresh, ripe, peeled mango, julienne
- 10 ounces Napa cabbage, sliced very thin
- 2-1/4 ounces red bell pepper, julienne
- 2-1/4 ounces red onion, julienne
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 ounce cashews, toasted, coarsely chopped
To prepare Mahi Mahi Sandwich:Thaw fish under refrigeration at 40˚F or below. Combine honey and oil. Brush ½ tablespoon honey mixture on each piece of fish and sprinkle ½ teaspoon of cinnamon-chile rub on each piece of fish. On a clean, well oiled char broiler place fish, oiled side down, and grill until minimum internal temperature is 145˚F (for 15 seconds). Hold at 140˚F or above for service, no longer than 30 minutes.
Per order: Toast bun, using no margarine or butter. Place 1 piece of fish on heel of roll and top with 2 ounces Mango Slaw. Place crown of roll on sandwich to close. Serve immediately with 1 lime wedge and 4 carrot sticks.
Shelf Life: If leftover, do not reuse.
To prepare Mango Slaw:Toss mango, cabbage, red bell pepper and onion in a large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together lime juice, vinegar, honey, oil, salt and red pepper flakes. Pour over slaw and mix well to combine. Marinate under refrigeration at 40˚F or below for at least 2 hours prior to use. Just before service: Add mint and cashews to marinated slaw and toss to combine. Hold refrigerated at 40˚F or below.
Source: Chef Chuck Hatfield, Sodexo