Succulent Shrimp Fresh Mango Shooters
- 1-2 fully ripe mangos (about 1 pound to yield 1 cup puree)
- Juice and zest of one lime
- Sea salt
- 16 raw medium shrimp (41/50 count)
- 1 tsp. Sichuan pepper or black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seed, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Diced ripe mango, 8-16 pieces, as needed
- Zest of 1 lime, for garnish, optional
- Fresh basil or mint leaves, for garnish, optional
Peel the mangos and cut the fruit away from the seed. Coarsely chop and blend until smooth. Season puree with lime juice and a generous pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
Shell the shrimp, keeping only the tail intact. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
In a large skillet, over medium heat, toast pepper and fennel in olive oil until the mixture becomes fragrant. Add shrimp and sauté in the spice mixture, stirring regularly, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes. When shrimp is cooked, add garlic, ginger and a sprinkling of salt to the pan. Continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes, then let cool to room temp.
Recipe courtesy of Isha Nije, FLIK, Compass Group, Hazel Park, MI