- 2 ⅓ cup fresh young coconut meat, chopped into bite size pieces (meat from about 4 small coconuts)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion, tightly packed
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 ⅓ cup honey mango, cubed
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- 1 small-medium Serrano pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons puffed black rice (If you’ve never puffed grains in a pan without oil, read this.)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Open young coconuts (see notes on opening young coconuts at beginning of this post) using a large, sharp knife. Once opened, reserve water. Use a spoon to scrape out coconut meat. Cut into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, marinate young coconut meat, red onion and salt in lemon + lime juice for 30-45 minutes.
- While coconut meat is marinating, heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot (very hot, almost smoking, but not quite), toss in the black rice. Leave enough room, so rice is in a single layer and had enough room to move around. Shake the pan from time to time so rice doesn’t burn. Once you hear the rice pop, it’s done. Usually 2ish minutes. Be careful not to burn. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly toss in cilantro, mango and avocado with coconut meat and red onion to coat. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Top with thinly sliced Serrano pepper and sprinkle with puffed black rice. Serve immediately.
Recipe submitted by Alison Wu, Wu Haus