- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large chicken breasts (1 pound) cut through the equator to create 2 thin fillets
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice blend
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes with juices
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 zucchini sliced and quartered
Mango Verde Sauce
- 1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk (lite is fine)
- 1 cup mild salsa verde
- 1 cup roughly chopped mango (1 large mango)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp EACH ground cumin, chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1.4-1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- chopped mangos a MUST!
- lime juice
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven/soup pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and lightly sear on both sides, approximately 2 minutes, but don’t cook through.
- Add chicken broth and wild rice to chicken and bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer on medium low, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is tender enough to shred. Remove chicken and let rest until cool enough to shred.
- Meanwhile, add all of the Coconut Mango Verde Sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.
- After you remove chicken, add black beans, diced tomatoes and Coconut Mango Verde Sauce to pot with rice (don’t add chicken back yet). Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir often, especially towards the end so the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn. *Note: Rice cooking time varies so I suggest checking the rice occasionally until done.
- Once rice is tender, add shredded chicken back to pot along with zucchini and bell peppers. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Taste and add additional brown sugar for sweeter, hot sauce for spicier or lime for tangier. Garnish with plenty of mangos and optional cilantro.
Recipe submitted by Jennifer Sattley, Carlsbad Cravings
Check out our blog for more cozy soup recipes.