For the Mango, Pineapple and Chile Manzano Pico de Gallo:
- Incorporate the chilie, onion, pineapple and lime juice in a medium-sized bowl.
- Crush half of the allspice berries with the blade of your knife. Add the allspice to the bowl.
- Add salt to taste and set aside. You can make it up to this step and leave it to “cook” in the lime’s acidity overnight.
- Add the sliced mango and incorporate all the ingredients prior to serving.
For the jícama chips to serve with the Pico:
- Wash the jícama thoroughly using a vegetable brush, pat dry.
- Remove the peel and slice thinly using a mandolin.
- Submerge in a container of water with lime juice.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When it’s time to serve, drain well.
Recipes Developed by Jorge Fitz and Beto Estua, Casa Jacaranda, Mexico City
90 calories, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 22 g carbohydrate, 13g sugar,5 g fiber, 1 g protein, 120 mg sodium