Mango Manchego Stuffed Jalapenos with Curry Cornmeal Crunch
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 jalapeno peppers, about 3 inches long, sliced in half lengthwise and deseeded Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 firm ripe fresh mango, peeled, pitted and cut into matchstick pieces
- 1/4 lb finely shredded Manchego cheese, divided
- 1/2 fresh ripe mango, sliced for garnish
- To make the crunch: Combine cornmeal, curry, salt, and ¾ teaspoon olive oil. Set aside.
- To assemble the jalapenos: Rub outside of each pepper half with olive oil.
- Fill center of each pepper with cheese, reserving 2 tablespoons to sprinkle on top.
- Place 3 or 4 sticks of mango into each pepper pushing down.
- Sprinkle a large pinch of crunch mixture on each pepper. Sprinkle a few shreds of reserved cheese on each pepper. Sprinkle another pinch of crunch mixture on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes; serve warm.
Source: Chef Meryl Connell, Southwest Soul Catering Essex Fels, NJ