- Pre-heat oven to 350˚F. Line the bottoms of two 9″ cake pans with parchment (do not grease pans).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat 6 eggs on high speed 1 min until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar then continue beating on high for 8 min. It will be whipped and forming thick ribbons when you pull up the whisk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour and ½ tsp baking powder. Sift flour into batter 1/3 at a time, folding between each addition. Fold just until no flour streaks remain, scraping the bottom to catch any hidden pockets of flour. Divide evenly between prepared cake pans and bake at 350˚F for 23-28 min. Tops should be golden brown and spring back when poked slightly.
- Run a knife or thin spatula around edges to loosen and invert onto wire rack. Peel back parchment paper right away. Place cakes right side up and cool to room temperature before cutting in half.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, combine 16 oz cream cheese, 1 cup butter, 2½ cups powdered sugar and 2 tsp vanilla. Beat on low to combine then increase to high and beat 5-6 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed. Frosting should be whipped, soft and spreadable.
- Transfer 1 cup frosting to piping bag fitted with large open star tip and refrigerate until ready to use for the topping.
- Place the first sliced cake layer on a platter and spread with ½ cup mango purée. On the second cake layer, spread ½ cup frosting and place it frosting-side-down on the first layer so the cream and mango are hugging. Repeat with remaining layers then cover top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Pipe reserved frosting around the top border of your cake
- Peel and thinly slice 4 reserved mango halves, cutting some strips long ways and some wide. Layer mango slices in rings around the cake, starting with the longest pieces and overlapping each piece slightly until only a ½-inch space is left in the center.
- Roll a long, thin strip of mango into a coil and place it in the center.
Cake can be served right away or refrigerated 2 hours for easier slicing. It keeps well covered and refrigerated up to 3 days.