- Make the marinade: Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients in a freezer size plastic bag or shallow container (whatever you are going to marinate your steak in). Add steaks and turn to evenly coat. Marinate 6 to 18 hours in the refrigerator.
- Make the Mango Chimichurri: Finely chop the parsley, cilantro, jalapeño (without seeds), shallot and garlic in food processor. Remove to a bowl and stir in remaining Chimichurri ingredients. Taste and add jalapeño seeds, a little at a time, to reach desired heat or add red pepper flakes (optional). Note: Chimichurri is best if allowed to sit, covered, for 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to meld. If not serving for a few hours, chill in refrigerator then allow to return to room temperature before serving.
- To grill the steak (directions for pan searing below): Remove steaks from refrigerator 60 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature. Pat off excess marinade and season each side with freshly cracked salt and pepper.
- Clean, grease and heat grill to medium high heat. Add steaks and grill to desired doneness, using tongs to turn the steaks once (never a fork).*
- Transfer steaks to cutting board and loosely tent with foil. Let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing against the grain. Serve with Mango Chimichurri.
- To pan sear the steaks (skip, if grilling): Remove steaks from refrigerator 60 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature. Pat off excess marinade and season each side with freshly cracked salt and pepper.
- Heat cast iron skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. When it starts to smoke, reduce heat to medium-high and add steaks (working in 2 batches). Cook for 4 minutes without moving. Add 2 tablespoons butter. Flip steaks with tongs (NOT a fork), and continue to cook for 4 more minutes.
- Meanwhile: Right after you flip the steaks, spoon melted butter over the steaks. Continue to baste steaks for the remaining cooking time, tilting the pan as needed to spoon the butter.
- If you wish to continue to cook your steaks, reduce heat to medium and continue to cook steaks to desired temperature, about 3 to 7 more minutes, flipping one more time and continuing to baste.**
- Transfer steaks to cutting board, and baste one more time and loosely tent with foil. Let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing against the grain. Serve with Mango Chimichurri.
Recipe submitted by Jen Sattley, Carlsbad Cravings
*Grilling steak temperature guide: You want the temperature to register 5 degrees F. lower than the desired doneness (steaks will continue to cook after removing from the grill). Cooking times for 1” steaks – thicker steaks will require longer. Medium rare: approximately 4-5 minutes per side, internal temp of 135/140°F. Medium: approximately 5-7 minutes per side, internal temp of 140-145°F. Medium Well: approximately 8-10 minutes per side, internal temp of 150/160°.
**Pan searing steak temperature guide: Check the internal temperature of the steaks after they have cooked a total of 8 minutes (they should be medium rare at this point). You want the temperature to register 5 degrees F. lower than the desired doneness (steaks will continue to cook after removing from skillet): For Medium Rare: 135 to 140 degrees F. Medium: 140 to 145 degrees F., Medium Well: 150 to 160 degrees F.