Blackened Shrimp Skewers with Coconut Mango Pilaf
Coconut Mango Pilaf
- 1 tsp canola oil
- cup orzo
- cup white rice
- cup fresh mango, diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned
- 1tbs paprika
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs dried thyme
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- tsp kosher salt
Blackened Shrimp Skewers
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pepper, red or orange
- 1 fresh mango, diced
- Cilantro, toasted coconut (optional)
serves 4-6 skewers.
- In a small jar, combine blackening spice ingredients. Stir and shake. Set aside.
- Using a medium sauce pan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add rice and orzo. Slightly toast for 2-3 minutes. Add mango, chicken stock and coconut milk. Stir.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse shrimp and dry with paper towel. Cut pepper into larger chunks.
- Sprinkle blackening spice onto shrimp and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add to skewers. There should be about 5 per skewer. If you're using wooden skewers, be sure to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- On separate skewers, add mango and pepper chunks.
- Add to grill, cooking until charred. Look for shrimp to slightly curl.
- Once rice is done, pour onto a plate. Add skewers on top and sprinkle with chopped cilantro or toasted coconut as desired. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Ashleigh Evans, Dash of Evans