INGREDIENTS2-1/2 pounds red beets, divided1-1/2 pounds candy stripe beets (use orange beets if candy stripe not available)1-1/3 cups red wine vinegar, divided1/2 cup white wine vinegar2 cups sugar1-1/3 cups water8 sprigs fresh thymeGaram Vinaigrette (recipe follows)6 ounces chives, sliced (3/4 cup)12 ounces fennel, shaved thinly (3 cups)Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)12 sprigs tarragon1-1/2 pounds ripe fresh mango, julienned (3 cups)*12 ounces ricotta salata, medium dice (1-1/2 cups)
*12 count round (green/red) mangos yield 6.77 ounces each. 12 count flat (yellow) mangos yield 9.23 ounces each. One cup 3/8” diced mango weighs 6.35 ounces.
Garam Vinaigrette (Yield: 1 cup)3/4 cup olive oil1/4 cup white wine vinegar1 teaspoon garam masala (more if desired)salt to taste
Whisk oil and vinegar together. Add the garam masala and salt to taste.
Lemon Vinaigrette (Yield: 1 cup)¼ cup lemon juice2 sprigs thyme2 tablespoons minced shallot2 teaspoons minced garlic¾ cup olive oilsalt to taste
Combine all ingredients except oil and salt. Whisk in oil and season to taste with salt.
- To roast beets: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 1-1/2 pounds red beets in a pan with 2/3 cup red wine vinegar and 4 sprigs thyme. Place candy stripe beets in a pan with white wine vinegar and 4 sprigs thyme. Cover both pans with foil and roast until beets are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel off skins. Cut into bite size pieces, keeping varieties separate.
- To make beet puree: Peel and dice remaining 1 pound red beets, cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until completely tender. Drain beets, reserving about ½ cup cooking liquid. Puree beets and reserved cooking liquid until completely smooth. Pour through a fine strainer or chinois. Set aside.
- To pickle candy strip beets: Bring sugar, 2/3 cup water and 1-1/3 cups red wine vinegar to a boil. Pour the mixture over the roasted, peeled, and cut candy stripe beets. Cool; refrigerate until needed.
- Toss red beets and candy stripe beets separately with Garam Vinaigrette and chives. Season to taste.
- To make fennel slaw, toss shaved fennel, Lemon Vinaigrette and tarragon in a bowl. Season to taste.
- To assemble, per serving: Coat the insides of bowl with about 2 tablespoons beet puree. Place ¼ cup red beets and ¼ cup pickled candy stripe beets in each bowl. Top each with ¼ cup fennel slaw and 1 sprig tarragon. Garnish each with ¼ cup julienned mango and ¼ cup diced ricotta salata.
Source: Parkside, Austin, TX