- 1 cup Onion, brunoise
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard seed, yellow
- 2 tsp. Salt
- ¾ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 pc. Ginger, 1” piece smashed
- 4 ea. Garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup Sugar
- ½ cup Water
- 4 ea. Unripe (green) mango,* peeled, small diced
- 1 ea. Red Fresno chili, seeded, ⅛“ diced
- 1 ea. Lime, rind only, ¼” diced
*Recommended mango ripeness stage 2 to 3
- In a large saucepan, combine the onion, mustard seed, salt, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sugar and the water. Mix to combine and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the ginger and garlic from the simmering mixture
- Add the mangos, Fresno chilies, and lime rinds to the saucepan and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, as necessary. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Note: Use this relish as a spread on a charcuterie board, as a sauce for hamburgers, or roast meats, on grilled fish or shrimp, and as a garnish for Hors d’Oeuvres, such as deviled eggs.
Created by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry service to the National Mango Board.