- 6 green (unripe) mangos – peeled, cut into quarters with pit then pit removed with fingers and sliced into 1/2 inch thick and slightly curved “spears”
- 2 ½ cup white distilled vinegar
- 4 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 4 cloves of garlic - peeled
- 4 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 4 tsp. celery seeds dived
- 4 tbsp. black peppercorns
- Wash 4 ea. 1-pint mason jars and lids - wash with hot soapy water and air dry.
- Stir together over a medium heat the vinegar, kosher salt and sugar. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Add water to the vinegar, salt and sugar mixture and keep simmering.
- Add the green mango spears upright and divided between the 4 mason jars with clean hands. You want to completely fill the jar - so pack those spears are in there tight. Then slip in to each jar - one garlic clove, 1 tsp. of each spice and 1 tbsp. of black peppercorns to the top of each Mason jar.
- Pour hot vinegar brine into each Mason jar, fill the jar up so that all the upright mango spears are covered with the brine. Screw on the mason jars lids, tap the jars lightly to release any air bubbles and put the mason jars in the refrigerator and sit 1 week - then open up the jar and enjoy a Green Mango Bread & Butter Pickle!
NOTE: It can be almost ready at about 5 days, but as it sits, it develops better flavor and texture.
*For a spicier version add 1 small dried and split red Thai chile to each jar before pouring brine over
**An additional version could be adding 2 small ¼ circles of peeled fresh ginger to the top before pour brine in and could also be combined with Thai chile
Recipe developed by Chef Dave Woolley and CD Culinary Approach