Panino "PMB" (pancetta, mango, basil) Sandwich
- 6 slices (2ounces/60 grams) pancetta sliced thin, 2 mm
- Stecca or Stirato bread, cut in two and split*
- 2-1/2 ounces (70 grams) thinly sliced firm ripe Fresh Mango, preferably Honey variety*
- 2 pinches hot red chile powder
- 4 large fresh basil leaves (2 grams)
To prepare pancetta: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lay pancetta slices in a single layer on a nonstick or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Roast until slices are crisped and fat in melted, 12 to 16 minutes, depending on how fatty the meat is. Remove from oven and let cool on rack, with one end of pan slightly elevated so fat drains.
To assemble: Layer each sandwich with half of the pancetta and sliced mango. Finish with a light sprinkle of chile powder and basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Jim Lahey, Sullivan St Bakery, New York, NY