1 large egg
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1 teaspoon ginger paste, or finely minced ginger
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
½ cup plain breadcrumbs
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Coconut Curry Sauce:
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14 ounce) full-fat coconut milk
2-3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (depending on how spicy you like it)
2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons ginger paste, or finely minced ginger
Large handful of baby spinach
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro and/or basil, roughly chopped
1 fresh mango, diced
1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
1 lime, zested and juiced
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Add ground turkey, breadcrumbs, and green onions. Mix until just combined.
- Form the meat into tablespoons sized balls (about 15-20 meatballs) and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until shallot becomes translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, curry paste, soy sauce and ginger. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Add the cooked meatballs and simmer about 5 minutes, until they’re well coated in the sauce.
- Remove from the heat and stir in spinach, lime juice, cilantro and/or basil. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Combine mango, serrano, lime zest and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Serve meatballs and curry sauce over bowls of rice topped with spicy mango mixture.
Recipe submitted by Erin Lynch, Platings and Pairings.