INGREDIENTS2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided1 tbsp unsalted butter1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs2 tbsp minced garlic1 tbsp and ½ teaspoon salt, divided1½ tsp ground black pepper, divided½ tsp smoked paprika3 stalks celery, chopped1 medium yellow onion, chopped1 medium green bell pepper, chopped4 cloves garlic, chopped2 large mangos, peeled and diced1 lb fresh okra, ends clipped and sliced1 cup all-purpose flour¼ cup bacon drippings¾ cup unsalted butter1 lb Andouille sausage, sliced2 quarts water6 cubes beef bouillon1 tbsp granulated white sugar2 tbsp hot pepper sauce½ tbsp Cajun seasoning½ tsp ground cayenne pepper2 bay leaves1 tsp dried thyme1 tsp dried oregano1 (14 oz) can Ro*Tel tomatoes (don't drain)1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce2 lbs. peeled and deveined uncooked shrimpwhite ricegreen onionsparsley
Recipe courtesy of Dawn Harris, Mama Harris’ Kitchen
- Heat 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil in medium skillet with 1 tbsp unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Once warmed and sizzling, add 1 lb. of boneless skinless chicken thighs. Add minced garlic, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper and ½ tsp of smoked paprika to both sides of chicken thighs. Brown all sides, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil and bring the heat to medium. Add celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic, and sauté until the onions begin to soften. Add the diced mango and sauté another minute, then add okra. Continue to stir and sauté until okra is no longer ropey. Remove from heat.
- In a large stock pot or larger Dutch oven, create a roux with 1 cup flour, ¼ cup bacon fat, and ¾ cup butter. Whisk over medium-low heat until the roux is smooth, then continue to whisk over medium-low to medium heat. The roux will begin to thin and become more liquid.
- Continue to whisk, adjusting the heat as needed and ensuring there are no burnt spots. It will take about 45 minutes to an hour for the roux to become the color of dark chocolate, while whisking continuously. Once it has reached the desired color, remove from heat while continuing to whisk and let it slightly cool.
- Add sliced sausage while continuously whisking the roux, then add sautéed veggies. Add water and bouillon, and stir consistently until blended together.
- Add sugar, hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, tomatoes, tomato sauce and browned chicken thighs. Stir together well and bring back to a boil. Once boiling, lower to simmer, uncovered, for an hour. Stir every so often.
- Remove the chicken thighs and roughly shred them, then add back to the pot. Add Worcestershire sauce and stir. Continue to simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Add the uncooked shrimp about 5 minutes before you're ready to serve. Stir well and remove from heat once the shrimp turns pink and starts to curl.
- Serve with prepared white rice and garnish with sliced green onions and chopped parsley.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze.