Not a Consumer? Visit:
Mango Food Safety Conference
The NMB’s inaugural Mango Food Safety Conference was a free information sharing event which took place on March 6, 2014, at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, Philadelphia, PA. This conference focused on providing attendees with information about food safety laws and initiatives such as the Food Safety Modernization Act and Produce Traceability Initiative; providing insight on how these affect the mango industry and tips on how to implement changes in the supply chain.
Six keynote speakers provided attendees with information on the high risk areas and suggested solutions for the mango industry, recall management (crisis response), and much more. The following topics were discussed during the Mango Food Safety Conference:
- Overview of Food Safety Modernization (Tom O'Brien, O'Brien DC)
- Produce Standards, Supplier Verification and How to Create a Food Safety Culture (Robert J. Whitaker, Ph.D., Chief Science & Technology Officer, Produce Marketing Association)
- Mango Food Safety Tools and Resources (Sergio-Nieto Montenegro, Ph.D., Food Safety Consulting & Training Solutions, LLC)
- Produce Traceability Initiative (Ed Treacy, Vice President, Supply Side Efficiencies, Produce Marketing Association)
- Product Recall and Product Contamination Insurance (Jonathan M. Cohen, Gilbert, LLP)
- Recall Situation – How to Handle the Media in an Outbreak (Megan McKenna, Director of Marketing, National Mango Board)
The NMB provided conference attendees tools and solutions to help reduce the risk of food safety issues. In addition, the NMB's Postharvest Best Management Practices Manual is also available in English, Spanish and Portuguese.